Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Language

So after reading Meier's piece about language I started to think about people in my schools that I have attended that spoke differently. So many people in my life have spoken differently than I have, but I never thought of it as different, I just thought of it as wrong. Speaking differently isn't wrong though, it's just different. The only reason I think it's wrong is because that's the way I was raised and when i was taught proper English I was influenced by my teachers and parent's that anything besides proper english is wrong. It's funny though, because thinking about how I speak and how it's different from other people, I bet those other people who speak differently think I am in the wrong. After reading this I don't really consider any speech "wrong", just different in their own ways. People are raised in different settings, in different societies and cultures and nationalities so of course their speech or mannerisms or style or anything will be different. That is just the way it is. No reason to judge, it's just a way of life and a mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment